The Rasmussen Group is a 100-year-old, diverse group of 12 construction-related companies, with operations that include: ready-mix concrete, bridge construction, asphalt paving, aggregate operations, heavy-haul operations, crane services, and dump truck operations.
The Director of Safety and Risk Management is an integral part of Senior Management that provides organizational leadership for a comprehensive risk management and safety program, including claims management. Examines and recommends risk management, risk and safety techniques, and the procurement of insurance overages. Takes action to ensure compliance with federal and state regulations, and advises managers on safe work methods and practices including environmental hazards.
- Four-year degree in health and safety-related field. Certification as a Certified Safety Professional (CSP) is preferred, but not required.
This individual will have a minimum of ten (10) years of experience in a dynamic construction safety and risk management program. Will have effectively managed and administered a comprehensive risk management program; and also have a thorough knowledge and understanding of, and ability to manage, a comprehensive claims management program.
Essential Job Duties
- Develops and implements Risk Management policies, procedures, training, and programs.
- Analyzes risk and safety needs based on compliance with safety regulations, client needs, and company standards; and recommends necessary changes to all policies and programs.
- Possesses the ability to critically think outside the box and develop new and innovative risk and safety programs.
- Directs and evaluates the performance of assigned staff; establishes performance requirements and regularly monitors performance and provides coaching for performance improvement and development; recommends compensation and takes disciplinary action when necessary.
- Manages environmental compliance by researching required pollution guidelines, forecasting prevention needs, and reporting pollution prevention plans.
- Provides leadership and support to Executive Leadership, field supervision, and field personnel in monitoring the effectiveness of processes and programs implemented, including but not limited to accident investigations, safety best practices and audits.
- Develops measurement and analysis tools and metrics to assess the overall safety program’s performance.
- Assesses exposure to risk and adverse consequences of construction activities. Collaborates with others when negotiating policy terms and limits. Recommends the purchase of insurance, coverage limits, and deductibles to ensure adequate protection against loss at the most effective cost to the Company.
- Collaborates with insurance broker in the management of workers compensation, liability, auto, and property and casualty claims. Manages and oversees the administration of the workers’ compensation program, including claims and claim costs, claim reviews, employee injuries, and the company TRIR. Informs Company senior management of adverse risks, serious claims, TRIR, etc.
- Assists management with the subcontractor selection process – determines:
- Subcontractor pre-qualification requirements.
- Insurance specifications based on type of work.
- Insurance and indemnification requirements.
- Ensures that departmental goals are met and actively pursues their attainment.
- Participates in client meetings as requested to promote the corporate Safety and Risk Management programs.
- Takes responsibility for overall management, development, implementation, and administration of Rasmussen’s claim management program.
- Manages all lines of claims, including: Workers’ Compensation, General Liability, Auto, Property, Contractors’ Equipment, and other lines that effect Rasmussen Group operations.
- Analyzes claim trends and develops statistics and other financial data.
- Works with applicable Insurance Carriers on claim resolution strategies.
Fleet and DOT
- Assumes responsibility for all fleet vehicle compliance, including passenger vehicles and all DOT operations.
- Develops safe driving programs and accident reduction strategies.
- Collaborates with fleet operations and maintenance on safety and compliance issues.
- Develops measurement and analysis tools and metrics to assess the overall fleet operation’s performance.
EEO/Human Resources Oversight
- Acts as Rasmussen’s EEO and Affirmative Action Officer.
- Manages employee conflict work matters and determines best resolution/outcome (to the confidence of both employees and managers).
- Manages difficult situations regarding employee harassment complaints, and determines action plans for resolution.
- Works closely with the management team to resolve other workplace employee matters.
- Health Insurance - Two Options with Wellmark Blue Cross Blue Shield
- Group Life Insurance - Lincoln Financial Group
- 401(k) Retirement Plan - Wells Fargo Financial
- Additional voluntary products are available that include, but are not limited to Dental Insurance with Delta Dental and Vision Insurance with Vision Service Plan (VSP)
Women, minorities, veterans and individuals with
disabilities are encouraged to apply.